[clue-admin] Backups

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Feb 25 22:05:55 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> We've talked a bit about backups at the admin meetings, and a suggestion
> was that perhaps a couple of people could implement offsite backups using
> rsync over ssh.

Looks like we currently do a full backup once a week running about 75MB
(uncompressed).  (And the backup dir is getting full.)  So rsyncing that
will be a 75MB transfer weekly (not a big deal but probably more than is
necessary).

Something like rdiff-backup might be better for this, where only changed
files are transferred and rsync can transfer only the changed blocks.
(rdiff-backup can be used to both the backup dir and offsite dirs.)
There's dervish too, but it's not in Debian so I haven't bothered.

I haven't quite thought it out completely but the
full/differential/incremental (compressed) backup model may be obsolete
when backing up to disk.  I should look to see if there are any papers
out comparing performance.

Do we have docs on our current scheme?  It might be interesting to
design something new and compare the pros and cons.