[clue-admin] Fwd: Membership setup

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:46:28 MST 2006

Resending per Jeff's request.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com>
Date: Jan 2, 2006 9:41 PM
Subject: Membership setup
To: "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com>, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com>

FYI,

I have completed the following:

1. add_member script to create a new user with home directory in /tux2
and a shell to permit sftp only. The new id is setup with a
public_html with an initial index.html. A .forward file is created
with the email address. The account has no password and is not usable
until a public key is added.

2. Member data is captured in a permanent CSV file with

3. I've verified that I can transmit a public key to the new user and
use sftp to access the account.

A few details remain to be worked out:

1. What needs to be done to enable the user to have mail forwarded
using a clue email address? I don't have a clue about that.

2. To enable use of the webpage, httpd.conf will need to be updated
with an additional direcotyr set, ie

<Directory /tux2/*/public_html>
</Directory>

3. What else have I missed?

4. Do we want to setup such accounts for officers and admin users as
well? The script allows for overriding the generated userid, if we
choose to do that.

5. I will modify the script to transmit a request for the public key,
etc., once all the other details are worked out.

If you want to look at the results, checkout user 'junk'. It was setup
via the new procedure.

Assuming that we can resolved the additional details, do you want to
announce this at the upcoming meeting and start collecting new
subscriptions? I will prepare signup sheets to be filled out by the
new members.

Additional thoughts after rereading the wiki entry:

1. We were promissing name tags and id cards. IANAP (I am not a
printer). If that is still desired, we need another volunteer who has
the necessary printing skills.

2. I've never worked with, nor do I understand, disk quotas. Someone
needs to implement that.

3. The /tux2 partition currently has 2.2G free space. Will that be enough?

Thanks,

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write