[clue-admin] Clue mailing list

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jun 6 15:28:47 MDT 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:58:55 -0500 (CDT)
erik at ezolan.com wrote:

> In a forum you press the "Search" button or link. No need to depend on a
> 3rd party search engine either. :-) Lately I've soured on Google.

Well, you're welcome to use the search engine of your choice. Although I
haven't specifically tried, I'd be surprised if Yahoo or other search
engines don't let you restrict by domain. I bothers me not at all to make
use of 3rd party search engines, since they're going to index the content
anyway. Means less work for me and/or the other admins.

> >> Also, if you're a new member, you're stuck with going through zipped
> >> downloads to catch up.
> >
> > You can get threads here:
> > http://www.cluedenver.org/pipermail/clue-tech/2005-July/thread.html
>
> Or, using real forum software, you simply let your eyes drift down the
> page of topics. :-)

I see no difference.

> Although technically interesting, wouldn't simpler be better?

Forums are simpler? I beg to differ. The ones I'm familiar with have a lot
more things to do for configuration and management. Mailman is mostly
worry free after initial installation. Plus, using a mailing list, each
user is free to interact using the software of their choice, including
non-Gui MUAs such as Mutt, Pine, or elm. Web-based forum systems also
enable much more annoying behavior, such as colored, blinking text in
unreadable fonts. They also use more bandwidth than plain e-mail. The
mailing lists don't require a relational database either.

Also, sorry to be abrupt about it, but don't hold your breath. The folks
who admin the system have plenty of to-do's in line ahead of doing
something such as installing and configuring a web-based forum system. I
would take a very significant increase in real benefit for us to want to
take on something such as that.

jed (Webmaster and occasional ad-hoc system twiddler)
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E