[clue-admin] Clue mailing list

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jun 6 18:23:27 MDT 2006

erik at ezolan.com wrote:
>>I assume you are talking about a web based bulletin board, right?  Or
>>do you mean a real "BBS" or a newsgroup?
>
> Heh, I meant the web based forums. Like PhpBB.

So that's one more piece of software to configure and maintain.  IIRC,
phpBB has a much worse security record than mailman.

>>What are the benefits of a web-based BB?
>
>>Well, poor threading and management is your mail client's problem.  I
>>use gmail and labels and it works great.
>
> Web based email? A web based forum you hate, but moving it to email is ok?

Yeah, I don't get web email either.  But I'm the resident Luddite.

>>I've also used thunderbird with folders and filters and was very happy.
>
> Can't install software at work. Probably not a good idea to download your
> personal mail to machines at work anyway. Although some people have their
> web access locked down at work, I don't think that is a issue with the
> people of CLUE. Computer techs need access to the web.

Find a company that treats you like a human being?  Live with reading
your email on personal time?  At the moment I work where there is no
Internet access (well, ok, 5 machines shared between 200 people).  So I
read my mail at home.  It isn't that bad.

Or if it doesn't violate company policy you could read the mail on your
machine at home from work.  The network is the computer, though many
seem to be unaware.

[...]
> In a forum you press the "Search" button or link. No need to depend on a
> 3rd party search engine either. :-) Lately I've soured on Google.

I guess it would be a great service if CLUE indexed the Internet.  For
those that have soured on Google.

[...]
> Forum software has been refined over the years to do its job really,
> really well. Email list software is simply a way to collect and distribute
> cc: mail in an orderly fashion.

I sure hope so.  But I much prefer email to web pages for a
conversation.  So even if it is refined it's fundamentally wrong to me.

> And finally, I believe a forum is better at building communities.

Why do you believe this?  I don't use forums so they are ineffective at
building community for me (I'm sure some of that is generational).

And I didn't say before, an email client has one login for all mailing
lists.