[clue-admin] Clue mailing list

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 12:01:47 MDT 2006

On 6/7/06, Chris Hirsch <chris at base2technology.com> wrote:

> Is there any real  need for a list<->forum gateway?

You can configure GNU mailman [our email list software] to post to a
newsgroup.  Then people in love with BB / Newsgroup model can go there
instead of their email client.

A few years back we polled the users and the majority did ask for a
forum replacement / augment to the email lists.  We can ask again.  If
there is strong interest, my preference is to setup a news server and
let mailman gateway between it and the email archives, maintained by
pipermail.  This is certainly more secure than phpBB and would allow
people to have a different way to access the list than from their
email client or the pipermail archives.

>From the GNU mailman feature page:

"GNU Mailman features a mail to news gateway. Mailman can be
configured to gateway lists to and from Usenet newsgroups. For
example, the comp.lang.python newsgroup is gatewayed to the
python-list at python.org mailing list. Even moderated lists, such as
comp.lang.python.announce can be gatewayed, with Mailman serving as
the moderation tool"

IMHO - I don't see much value in things like phpBB because it's not
push technology.  I like email lists because I can receive them and
read them when I want w/o having to 'remember' to visit the list.

Despite the skin stuff, I think phpBB is restrictive because it only
allows a single interface [the web browser] to view messages.  The
format is hard to use, especially for conversation threads, email
continues to be [like a news viewer] the easiest way to follow a
thread.