[clue-admin] Clue mailing list

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jun 7 18:08:55 MDT 2006

erik at ezolan.com wrote:
> So, my point is that even if we want to start using a forum, I'd like
> to wait until the next phpBB comes out of beta. Admin it? Sure, no
> problem. It's easy.
>
> Plus, CLUE wouldn't exist without volunteers.

Well, it isn't quite that easy.  I don't think that we want a large team
adminning the box.  One or two who work well together is probably as
much complexity as we can stand.  A few more with well defined areas of
responsibility, who can be careful not to step on anyone else.  So if we
fit you into that kind of structure it's easy.  But getting to know you
and defining the structure, there's the rub.

Of course I look at it as a system admin who thinks that CLUE is a
valuable service and should be run like one by A-team admins (even if
they are volunteers).

[...]
> Of course, all this is moot if the users don't want it. And there's no
> point in bringing up the option until it's ready to be implemented. I
> brought it up because I was wondering why we weren't using forum software.

We'd have to ask the users again (this isn't their list).  Or maybe
better set it up alongside mailman and see which gets used more.

[...]
>>> And finally, I believe a forum is better at building communities.
>
>>Why do you believe this?  I don't use forums so they are ineffective at
>>building community for me (I'm sure some of that is generational).
>
> Because otherwise all online communities would have just stuck to email
> lists. :-)

I'm disappointed that you don't have a better argument, or some
evidence, or even a reasoned opinion.

> Do you read Blogs much? It's easy to simply set up a BCC and
> email every subscriber your latest post. Not only is it easy, it's *free*.
> Yet everyone uses a web based, very visual blogs. Only people trying to
> sell you something use BCC: lists these days.

No, I don't read Blogs much.  But there's a difference.  When I'm
blogging I'm writing an article.  I want people to see it in something
that looks like a magazine.  When I'm on the lists I'm shouting across
the room "hey, anyone remember how to do foo?"  I want a flurry of
replies.  Not that blogs have anything to do with building communities.

>>No worries about the server slowing down under load.
>
> Although I've never worried about that, what are the specs of the server
> CLUE runs off of? What kind of setup are we using?

I meant any hypothetical forum server that I share with who knows how
many other readers.  It's why I don't like forums vs. email, not why I
don't think CLUE shouldn't set up a forum.  Except for my comment above
about organization complexity I haven't suggested that CLUE shouldn't do
it, only that I wouldn't find it useful.

>>Or if it doesn't violate company policy you could read the mail on your
>>machine at home from work.  The network is the computer, though many
>>seem to be unaware.
>
> Sorry to hear about your strict company policy. I hope it's because you do
> secure work for the government, and not some twisted Dilbertesque reason.

Secure work for the government is more twisted and Dilbertesque than you
would believe ;-)  Ask me about it at installfest sometime.

> Huh. Going over the admin-archive it looks like I screwed up. I thought
> that replacing the subject with something new in my reply would start a
> new thread, not have it attached to the original thread.

No worries.  You're not the first but I appreciate that you noticed.  I
think threading is based on the In-Reply-To header, which is set by
replying.