[clue-admin] Odd CVS warning publishing the website

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Feb 8 13:16:29 MST 2007

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:22:20 -0700
Jeff Cann wrote:

> Can you dump the env variables from the web server?  This may reveal
> something...

In php, there's a function, phpinfo(), which will show env (and a bunch
more).

Of relevance:

USER                          root
SUDO_USER              crawford
SUDO_COMMAND    /etc/init.d/httpd restart
HOME                         /home/crawford
LOGNAME 	        root

Which is interesting, because after I changed the httpd.ini file, I
restarted Apache. Now, I see the uptime command says we've been up 11
days. Now maybe it was more than 11 days ago that I did that -- okay, I
see it was on Jan 30th. less than 11 days ago.

I'll restart apache again. But this raises questions in my mind about real
vs. effective uids, and how the system is being booted. I'd heard (in
Ubuntu) about "rootless" startups. Does CentOS do this by booting as user
X, and sudoing the services?

Actually, now I think about it, I have no reason to suspect that a "soft"
restart, i.e. /usr/sbin/apachectl restart, would cause the ENV to change.

Also, Apache is running as user apache:apache. When the publish script
exports the files from CVS, they created with that uid:guid in the
document root.

So, I can see a kludge to fix this, by having the publish script set
HOME=/var/www, or something.

--
http://freedomsight.net/