[clue-admin] Remote backups using rsync over ssh

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 11 22:49:51 MST 2007

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:30:13 -0700
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>>> against what I was doing previously. If there are any directories to
>>> add to this list, let me know.
>> Off the top of my head, how about the RPM database (i.e., what packages
>> are installed)?
>
> Well, since our "bare metal recovery" starts with a fresh OS install, I
> think it'd be better to have that as a text list someplace. The question
> would be how to keep that list updated. I agree that such a list would be
> a good thing.
>
> I suppose I could schedule a nightly 'rpm -qa > rpmlist' and then rsync
> that file.

I looked at the writeup you did, Jed.  Nice.

I usually do backups as root to make sure that all files are readable.
But I think rdiff-backup will record ownership and permissions
regardless who runs it so that root is only required for restores.

Are you using the various rsync tricks to keep multiple backups around?
  They aren't hard to figure out, but rdiff-backup is pretty easy too.