[clue-admin] Remote backups using rsync over ssh

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Feb 13 17:16:13 MST 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:49:51 -0700
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> I looked at the writeup you did, Jed.  Nice.

Well, thank you, Dave.

> I usually do backups as root to make sure that all files are readable.
> But I think rdiff-backup will record ownership and permissions
> regardless who runs it so that root is only required for restores.

It's times such as these that I miss the VMS privilege system. So easy to
create a user called "backup" or something, and grant the READALL
privilege.

> Are you using the various rsync tricks to keep multiple backups around?
>   They aren't hard to figure out, but rdiff-backup is pretty easy too.

Nah. Mainly because I can't think of a reason for having older stuff
around, unless someone mistakenly deletes a file. But (knock on silicon)
we don't seem to have problems with that. Also, though it's not an issue
at the moment, as the Mailman archive grows, it could become a disk hog.
But yeah, it'd be easy enough to have my nightly cron run a tarball after
the sync.

http://freedomsight.net/