[clue-admin] mailman

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 25 13:43:31 MST 2007

CLUE President wrote:
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>> Wow.  I guess that doesn't happen automatically when it's installed.
>> Shouldn't it?
>
> I would think so, but in the CentOS world it is not the default.  Maybe
> it's not considered a standard / default service like httpd?

I wonder how the RH/CentOS guys know what standard services you'll run
on your server?  If I were packaging it, I'd either assume that since
you're installing you want it on (that's what Debian does with mailman)
or at least ask you at install time whether it should be on or not.

Oh, wait.  Maybe CentOS installs everything it has by default.  Then
they don't want everything running, nor do they want to ask you hundreds
of times what to turn on.  I guess that might make sense--seems to me
that Solaris is similar (for some set of stuff they consider core).  I'm
so spoiled to be using Debian.  I used to think Linux was Linux and I
could work with it anywhere.  But I guess I really would need retraining
before I could do a RH job.