[clue-admin] Hosting the CLUE-Jobs list

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Apr 11 19:11:39 MDT 2008

Hi Folks.

I know we've talked about this before. The question of hosting the
CLUE-Jobs list on the CLUE server has come up again. I don't have any
ideological objections, but perhaps there are some practical
considerations.

The CLUE-Jobs list currently has appx 850 members. For comparison,
clue-tech has about 160, and clue-talk has under 100.

CLUE-Jobs has (almost?) zero administrative burden for us, including
whatever it is that Yahoo does to filter spam. Who knows how much crap
comes in on the list.

CLUE-Jobs as a Yahoo group also provides a file hosting area, and an area
to maintain a list of links to resources. There is only 1 current resume
up there, judging by upload date, and the links area is quite sparse
anyway.

OTOH:

Some people dislike Yahoo. I'm one of them. If they get bought by
Microsoft, even more so.

These days, if someone wants to have their resume online, there's plenty
of places to put it, and have it linkable.

The small amount of list traffic (exclusive of spam) means it likely won't
be a bandwidth issue for us.

Somebody will need to be the list moderator. Again, given the low traffic
volume, I doubt that's a big burden. Unless it takes off.

Perhaps it'll make list participants more aware of CLUE activities.

What does everyone think?