[clue-admin] More Postfixing

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jul 23 22:15:37 MDT 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Really, I see no reason for 90% of those aliases, and I'm tempted to
> just eliminate them altogether. Except that I think if I eliminated
> them, then mail to them would get accepted and then bounced, as
> opposed to rejected at SMTP time, and the latter is more efficient.
> No idea how much junk comes in for some of those.

I think if they weren't in aliases mail would get accepted for them and
put on the spool.  The aliases are a way to send mail to those users to
an account that might get read.

So what you really want is a way to tell postfix "these users don't
exist" even though they have entries in the passwd file.

It looks like some clues are here:

http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html

but I don't know how old that is.  Instead of the default "look in
passwd" you could make your own list of real users (or perhaps there's a
programmatic way to reject users less than the UID the daemons use).