[clue-admin] Mail issues

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Mar 14 13:06:37 MDT 2008

Comments below.  Pardon any delays in responding as I get this in Digest format.

----- clue-admin-request at cluedenver.org wrote:

> Hi Folks.
>
> Seems we have a few more e-mail issues. Not sure what the upshot of
> the
>
> "cannot access mailbox /var/mail/tech for user tech. error writing
> message: File too large"
> error message is.

As Dave mentioned, the "tech" user was receiving the emails from "root", which includes all the spam.  The emails have been deleted from this account since only the "important stuff" is being directly forwarded to Linux ETC for daily review.

> Presumably, with Crawford (and Roy, on any DNS issues) working the
> issue
> with Comcast, mail to Dennis will start going through, but while this
> has
> been happening, any e-mail to "president" or "sponsors" has been
> bouncing.

I have filed the "anti-RBL" request with Comcast twice this week.  Could Dennis (and anyone else with a Comcast.net account) advise if email is being received?  I am suspecting the answer is still "no", but will file another one and call a "human" to see what else can be done.

> Is there any chance we can find a mail expert to set something up
> such
> that log messages from mailman and postfix, which need human
> intervention, get noticed by a human? (And, hopefully, be the
> recipient
> of the output of whatever filter performs that task.)

LogWatch for the system was being forwarded to Linux ETC.  This does include the Postfix portion as well, though with the Comcast issues, it is a bit unclear what is also being "diverted" some as well.  If someone else (preferably non-Comcast.net domain and ISP) wishes to also receive a second copy, please advise me directly and I can add that email to the receive list.

--- Crawford
--
The Linux ETC Company
368 South McCaslin Boulevard