[clue-admin] Mail issues

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Mar 16 17:50:23 MDT 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> To whittle down these messages, there are a couple things we can do.
>
> 1) Crawford has suggested setting up SpamAssassin.
[...]
> I think we should be good netizens and do our part to dump spam when we
> get it, rather than generating spurious bounce messages, and forwarding
> it on where the aliase file says to. That will also help with us being
> able to notice real mail problems when they occur (and hopefully prevent
> some from occurring).

I don't think SpamAssassin is the first step to stopping spam.  We can
do that too, but there are some other less CPU/admin intensive that we
should do first.

In my experience graylisting is a good start.  My mail server is similar
to CLUE's--a few addresses get mail, several more forward mail, and
that's it.  It's been greater than 90% effective for me.

But I don't know anything about spam so I'd find someone who has a good
description of layered methods.  These aren't that but you can also look at:

http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail (see the links for postfix anti-spam and
spam filtering)