[clue-admin] Mail issues

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Mar 16 23:24:15 MDT 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:50:23 -0600
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> But I don't know anything about spam so I'd find someone who has a good
> description of layered methods.

Which is why I've made mention of seeking a volunteer who is already a
postfix expert. ( /me thinks of Barb Dijker, e.g. -- I don't know if
she's a postfix expert, but she gave a CLUE talk on Spam)

> These aren't that but you can also
> look at:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail (see the links for postfix anti-spam and
> spam filtering)

In order to use those instructions, I'd have to actually learn something
about Postfix! :) Not that that isn't of interest, but my woodshed time
right now is being spent reviewing Oracle docs. That, plus I'm going to
try some object-oriented PHP coding.

Some funny stuff there. I like the part about rejecting M$ crufty (and
dangerous) attachments. The part about rejecting HTML-formatted e-mail is
a great idea, but sadly impractical these days.

Then there's that part about rejecting "in.addr.arpa" RDNS. Uh, isn't
that what our IP address does now?
<http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/postfix-antispam.html>

Were I doing it, I'd silenty drop spam. Why send a bounce when it's
almost certain to result in getting a bounce? (Yeah, I know, sometimes it
can alert someone that their system is compromised -- tradeoffs :-/ )