[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Dec 3 19:47:01 MST 2009

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Not wanting to fork the thread too badly, but seperating code and data on
> the website would make content maintenance easier.

Agreed.

> JMHO, but using CVS for content updates is goofy.

I disagree entirely.

At work I have a web site that I enter data in.  The data is used to create .spec files that get
turned into rpms.  The first thing I said when I saw it was, "don't you care about the history of
the data?"

Now there's a feature request to keep history of the data so that if bad data results in a broken
rpm it can be reverted quickly.  Guess what?  The web app ain't gonna learn version control.  The
data's gonna move out of the database and into the VCS.

(How's that for too badly forked?)

I care about being able to retrieve what was on the web site back when, or to see who changed what
(and hopefully they logged why).  For something that's write once (mail in the archives, blog
posts?) that isn't necessary.  But for something that morphs (wiki) I want a VCS.

Not to mention that a VCS makes it easy for several to share the same pages.  So you can test your
sandbox without touching production first (well, that should be easier on our site).  At work I have
to make a test copy of the database, which means SQL to do find and replace on the data values that
have to be different in test.  Ugh.

But hey, if you code, or even design, something different I'll evaluate it objectively.