[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Dec 3 20:33:29 MST 2009

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:58:16 -0700
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> > Shared vs. VPS. Different duck.
>
> Both seem to meet our requirements equally, don't they?

Depends on the shared plan, I suppose. Probably, we should get an idea of
our bandwidth usage history. I think Webalizer will be as good as we need
for web traffic. Mail traffic -- off the top of my head, grepping the
last n months of logwatch reports for the Postfix xfer lines, and running
that through a quickie totalizer ... except I haven't kept a history of
those. Maybe Crawford has.

Not sure there's any way to tell how a given shared plan will hold up
under our mail volume. Not in bandwidth, but in resource usage needed for
spam filtering.

And somebody's credit card will need to be attached to that shared plan.
That person will need to be prepared to buffer whatever overage charges
we have. Probably won't ever happen, but it's something to keep in mind.

The credit card issue is one we need to deal with no matter, unless Jeff
is willing to keep using his. (Or we find a free hosting deal.)

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?