[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Dec 4 08:40:03 MST 2009

----- "David L. Willson" <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU> wrote:

> Could always host email on my Zimbra server.  I'm pretty low on spam
> and maintenance free.

Folks:

In regards to using Zimbra though Linux ETC and myself are Zimbra Solution Providers and VARs, this would put CLUE back into the "having a system hosted on local hardware" issues where if a system failed, it would take the better half of a week to get things back up and running, then any data restored in addition to that.  Before VPSLink that was the cause of downtime for the CLUE server 90% of the time, 10% ISP related.

For reference, here is the email breakdown currently which is running fine currently on the CLUE VPSLink system:
- Postfix
- SpamAssassin
- Dovecot (for Dennis and Jed to pick off certain "@cluedenver.org" emails)
- MailMan
Jeff Cann, David A., and/or Jed feel free to add anything I forgot.

There is also having MailMan linked via the web site into the archives and such to consider here as well.  So hosting "all" or "none" would be the choice here in the end for such.

For the VPSLink CLUE uses (the Link-3 package for reference), this is fine for both MailMan services and Apache services for the web site.  Anything else would be pushing it.

PS: I get this list in Digest format so pardon the delays in responding, or the flood of responses once I do get the Digest.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA