[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Dec 4 08:40:20 MST 2009

----- "Jed S. Baer" <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:58:16 -0700
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
> > > Shared vs. VPS. Different duck.
> >
> > Both seem to meet our requirements equally, don't they?
>
> Depends on the shared plan, I suppose. Probably, we should get an idea
> of
> our bandwidth usage history. I think Webalizer will be as good as we
> need
> for web traffic. Mail traffic -- off the top of my head, grepping the
> last n months of logwatch reports for the Postfix xfer lines, and
> running
> that through a quickie totalizer ... except I haven't kept a history
> of
> those. Maybe Crawford has.

The VPSLink administration panel keeps track of that actually.  For VPSLink, CLUE has not gone beyond their package limitations as far as I know.

If Jed and I were to go through the LogWatch files, I could get a ballpark with the Postfix stats.  Today's report is typical though if anyone is curious which is below.

    2.348M  Bytes accepted                         2,462,354
    5.574M  Bytes delivered                        5,844,944
 ========   ================================================

      469   Accepted                                  14.79%
     2701   Rejected                                  85.21%
 --------   ------------------------------------------------
     3170   Total                                    100.00%
 ========   ================================================

The "rejected" are thanks to Jed's "tweeking" of MailMan and RBL settings for the most part.

> Not sure there's any way to tell how a given shared plan will hold up
> under our mail volume. Not in bandwidth, but in resource usage needed
> for
> spam filtering.
>
> And somebody's credit card will need to be attached to that shared
> plan.
> That person will need to be prepared to buffer whatever overage
> charges
> we have. Probably won't ever happen, but it's something to keep in
> mind.
>
> The credit card issue is one we need to deal with no matter, unless
> Jeff
> is willing to keep using his. (Or we find a free hosting deal.)

Worst case, Linux ETC has several accounts with VPSLink, and I can see about transferring it one of our accounts for billing purposes.  I would like to see some donations from the CLUE Membership though to assist with this since in the end, CLUE is what the members (not just a few) make of it.

PS: I get this list in Digest format so pardon the delays in responding, or the flood of responses once I do get the Digest.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA