[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Fri Dec 4 11:46:49 MST 2009

> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:26:50 -0700
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> What about spam filtering?  That's the only thing we use memory/CPU
>> for, and it's maybe more trouble than admining the server.
>
> All the shared hosting accounts I've looked at over the last 4 years or
> so have spam filtering included. Usually Spamassassin. This is actually a
> very good argument in favor of shared hosting over VPS. Right now, mail
> going to Mailman isn't filtered by SA, since we rely on the rejection of
> messages from non-subscribers to keep the lists clean.
>
> Once I got it all configured, it hasn't been any trouble. (But it'd be
> working better if I spent more time tweaking the rules for mail coming in
> for postmaster.)

I actually have spam filtering on my VPS account with hub.org.   The
trouble with shared hosting instead of VPS is that while you can change
the content of the website, you can't install applications on the machine,
which may limit how you update the content (like using CVS) or limit your
use of tools like mailman.