Separation and priority of tasks (was Re: [clue-admin] Notes from Tuesday meeting)

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Dec 18 21:25:35 MST 2009

Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> ----- "Jed S. Baer"<cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net>  wrote:
>> Probably won't hurt to reiterate that we need a static IP, but I'm sure that's not an issue.
>>
> That will be a DEFINITE need once again since this migration will result in a different static IP
> address for the CLUE server.  Thus, the DNS entries will need to be updated accordingly.

- create A records for the new IP and verify that it is up, running, and ready for production

- reduce our TTL to about 1 hour (do this whatever the current TTL is in advance of changing records)

- when the old TTL has expired, change the relevant A records

- put the TTL back to what it was

It looks like 1and1.com hosts our DNS.  Is that part of the VPS control panel or do they have a
separate one?  If separate, who knows where it is and what the credentials are?