[clue-admin] The Yahoo Groups CLUE Jobs thread

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Jan 19 06:37:48 MST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 06:24:05 -0700 (MST)
Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> > > Just out of curiosity and from the recent postings on CLUE-Tech
> > > about what happened to CLUEJobs (the Yahoo Group)?  Any thoughts of
> > > pulling it into the Mailman list with moderation since IIRC the
> > > reason for the moderation was to keep it on track from the various
> > > "head hunters" out there?
> > >
> > > I know this has come up in the past, but it would be nice to see >
> > > "the crowd" out there for CLUE to be pleased a bit. ;-)
> >
> > Actually, part of the reason, IIRC, for using a Yahoo group is that
> > it provides file upload capability, so people can post a resume, for
> > example. I haven't any idea how important that might be to anyone --
> > I never used it, since I've always had a web host where I could put
> > it.
>
> Along these lines, any thoughts or comments both pro/con wise to having
> it so that one who does subscribe to this list can (or cannot) post a
> resume?

Well, the Yahoo thing is an actual file storage area, so when someone
uploads a resume, it's then accessible directly with a URL. IIRC,
Mailman has an allow/disallow attachments option; don't remember how
customizable it is.

My own preference is that I'd like to be subscribed to the list, but I
don't want to have to download a bunch of other people's resumes.

> > One question would be whether anyone has the password to be able to
> > log in as the administrator and delete the Yahoo group.
>
> Does anyone recall who the original moderator was and what may (or may
> not) have happened to him/her?

It was Jim Intriglia. He just faded away.

> > 2nd question would be who will volunteer to be the moderator. While
> > it's true that Mailman can auto-moderate, at least to the point of
> > rejecting messages from non-subscribers, it's hard to predict what
> > might be needed if CLUE-Jobs were to become a popular list.
>
> I might be inclined to assist here on reviewing the postings, though I
> would like to know what the CLUEJobs Yahoo Group's criteria was
> beforehand to parallel that as much as possible.

I don't know that manual moderation will be necessary. But it's pretty
simple -- jobs working on Free/Open Source software.