[clue-admin] The Yahoo Groups CLUE Jobs thread

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Mon Jan 19 06:24:05 MST 2009

----- clue-admin-request at cluedenver.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:52:14 -0700
> From: "Jed S. Baer" <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net>
> Subject: Re: [clue-admin] The Yahoo Groups CLUE Jobs thread
>
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:03:49 -0700 (MST)
> Crawford Rainwater wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity and from the recent postings on CLUE-Tech about
> > what happened to CLUEJobs (the Yahoo Group)?  Any thoughts of pulling
> > it into the Mailman list with moderation since IIRC the reason for the
> > moderation was to keep it on track from the various "head hunters" out
> > there?
> >
> > I know this has come up in the past, but it would be nice to see > "the
> > crowd" out there for CLUE to be pleased a bit. ;-)
>
> Actually, part of the reason, IIRC, for using a Yahoo group is that
> it provides file upload capability, so people can post a resume, for
> example. I haven't any idea how important that might be to anyone --
> I never used it, since I've always had a web host where I could put it.

Along these lines, any thoughts or comments both pro/con wise to having it so that one who does subscribe to this list can (or cannot) post a resume?

> One question would be whether anyone has the password to be able to
> log in as the administrator and delete the Yahoo group.

Does anyone recall who the original moderator was and what may (or may not) have happened to him/her?

> 2nd question would be who will volunteer to be the moderator. While
> it's true that Mailman can auto-moderate, at least to the point of
> rejecting messages from non-subscribers, it's hard to predict what might be
> needed if CLUE-Jobs were to become a popular list.

I might be inclined to assist here on reviewing the postings, though I would like to know what the CLUEJobs Yahoo Group's criteria was beforehand to parallel that as much as possible.

> At this point, now that we have Postfix configured with SMTP validity
> checking and RBL lookups, we're in a better position to handle a
> higher volume of legitimate e-mail.

I do concur here since the LogWatch report does show quite a good job here on your efforts Jed! B-)

> Find a volunteer to be the list moderator, and the person who can
> delete the Yahoo group, and I'll create the mailing list and mod the
> website.

I would like some feedback on the above, but I am also tempted to suggest we start looking at putting this into play.  I will see what I can find with the Yahoo Group on the side as well and post any results.

--- Crawford
PS: The usual disclaimer about getting this in Digest format applies. ;-)