[clue-admin] [ADMIN] What company should be the host provider ?

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Thu Dec 16 09:14:54 MST 2010

----- YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote: -----
> > On Dec 15, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:27:20 +0000 (UTC)
> > dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >> Sean recommended BlueHost. $6.95/month with domain hosting, email
> >> hosting, Drupal, ssh, PHP, etc. He said that they only had 3 hours
> >> of
> >> downtime in the last three years,
> >
> > This is the sort of thing which ought to be carefully evaluated, not
> > jumped into in a flurry when we're near the end of our hosting
> > agreement.
> >
> I recommend that those who care about the choice of a host......
> indicate that they care and form a group to pick a hosting
> service ASAP.
>
> I don't really care since I think just about any
> hosting service will do. I don't think of the website, the
> email, the archiving as something to waste much time on.
> Of course, if someone wants to be elaborate, or make it their
> sandbox..... I don't care.
> Just make sure that others can follow what you have done.
>
> I would hope that CLUE brainiacs would focus on things other than
> the hosting engine.
>
> Gus in Denver

Actually and again as noted by Jed in the follow up email, there was a lengthy discussion for such which I have noted a few times on the CLUE-Admin list recently and in the past.  I would prefer CLUE's site and services be somewhat decently hosted if not professionally vs. "someone's sandbox".  If people want a sandbox, there are other ways do do/play with such.  CLUE's site and services is the one thing that ties everything and everyone together though IMHO.  We all have a tie of being Linux users and Open Source enthusiasts which started a long time ago (before my days with CLUE) with such services.  Like Linux and Open Source, things evolve, so naturally CLUE's site and services should do so with the community input but a solid direction.

Just my $0.02.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court