[clue-admin] [ADMIN] Those who want to determine the hosting provider... raise your hands

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Fri Dec 17 11:12:18 MST 2010

> On Dec 16, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:15:06 -0700
> YES NOPE9 wrote:
>
>> Those who want to determine the hosting provider... raise your hands
>>
>> ==Hosting can cost from zero dollars to $210 per year.
>> ==Hosting can be very basic or have lots of gee-whiz features.
>> ==Hosting can be set up so that a few priests manage it or it
>> can simpler so that tech unsophisticates can participate.
>>
>> If YOU want to help choose the hosting provider and configuration
>> details, then say so at this time.
>>
>> The last analysis of hosting
>> was last year ( per Jed Baer ).  Things have changed a lot inside
>> and outside the club since then.
>
> This is the start of a requirements document. Dave A was going to pretty
> it up some. As far as I know, the only thing which has changed is that
> we're now on CentOS 5, and I think Xen, as opposed to OpenVZ.
>
> http://cluedenver.org/pipermail/clue-admin/2009-December/003598.html
>
> Actually, in terms of basic or having lots of features, the above posting
> spells out mostly what our requirements are. Before we go off looking for
> hosting services, we should know better where we're going, as this will
> influence what we need to look for in terms of RAM, processing, HD space,
> and bandwidth.
>
> As to things which might have changed a lot, I'd like to see that
> documented.

Here are the changes .........
== Active Clue membership has declined
== Funding sources appear to have declined .... money must be used more carefully
== Relevant internet related services that CLUE provides to members probably fall in the category of:
      Website to explain CLUE and show coming events
      Discussion groups
      Archiving changing content and messages
     ( I don't really see any other requirements )
== Adding content and supporting website could be more egalitarian
== Really simple and cheap Linux based solutions have become more available

Anyway, David Anselmi will probably end up with enough money to maintain the status quo  .... So we can spend another year ( sigh ) sniping over alternative visions.  It appears that Jed Baer ( and perhaps Crawford ) are the only people interested in figuring out the hosting.  Is this correct ?

Gus in Denver     Free as in FREE BEER