[clue-admin] e: [ADMIN] Those who want to determine the hosting provider... raise your hands

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Dec 18 16:03:06 MST 2010

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:48:03 -0700
David "Barahon" Willson wrote:

> > > I wasn't suggesting an immediate, emergency-style migration. I was
> > > suggesting pay VPSLink for 90 days. Then, we've got 90 days to plan
> > > and execute a migration.
> >
> > Sorry if I've missed it in all the comments, but what is the reason
> > for
> > migrating away from VPSlink? I recall some earlier comments from
> > Crawford about a few potential problems relating to a merger or sale
> > or
> > something, but I don't think we've seen any issues so far.
> >
> > Is there a something about using a VPS which we expect to no longer
> > serve our needs?
> >
> > Is there something specific about SPRY VPSLink which is technically
> > deficient?
>
> Well, we could save $200 bucks if we move to AWS for a year.

Does it give us full SSH access?

How would we do remote backups?

BTW, I actually agree with Gus' suggestion of a hosting committee, even
if it's just 1 person doing the investigation. We should have a completed
requirements document, and then a proposal for hosting should refer to
that and document how the hosting solution meets the requirements.