[clue-admin] [ADMIN] Those who want to determine the hosting provider... raise your hands

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Sun Dec 19 12:52:10 MST 2010

Comments to Jed's questions are below.

----- "Jed S. Baer" <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net>: -----
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:42:21 -0700 (MST)
> David L. Willson wrote:
>
> > I wasn't suggesting an immediate, emergency-style migration. I was
> > suggesting pay VPSLink for 90 days. Then, we've got 90 days to plan
> > and
> > execute a migration.
>
> Sorry if I've missed it in all the comments, but what is the reason
> for migrating away from VPSlink? I recall some earlier comments from
> Crawford about a few potential problems relating to a merger or sale or
> something, but I don't think we've seen any issues so far.

There was the "unknown root" access via VPSLink which the server admins know about via VPSLink's support without notification of such.

> Is there a something about using a VPS which we expect to no longer
> serve our needs?

A VPS in general will serve CLUE's needs IMHO.  The long term question though is VPSLink or another.

> Is there something specific about SPRY VPSLink which is technically
> deficient?

Spry sold off VPSLink to a group in Boston.  Their tech support and communications (or lack there of) have both been issues with Linux ETC and our other clients.  We have been migrating the other clients off, with CLUE and one other remaining so far.

VPSLink's current setup is also paravirtualization based Xen and OpenVZ.  I am a bit surprised they have not worked on upgrading their internal hardware for full virtualization still, but that is more of an observation than "an issue".

FWIW.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court