[clue-admin] Email Lists Referendum

David "Barahon" Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Tue Dec 21 08:54:31 MST 2010

Greg: With the huge number of online LUGs available, why would you prefer
the online aspect of CLUE? This is not intended as a challenge, but an
exploration. I see CLUE as fundamentally local, and therefore I see it as a
gatherings-based org. Please help me understand your different view.

Sent via David's Droid X.

-----Original message-----
From: Greg Knaddison <Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com>
To: CLUE admin <clue-admin at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Tue, Dec 21, 2010 15:42:34 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [clue-admin] Email Lists Referendum

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Greg Knaddison
> <Greg at growingventuresolutions.com> wrote:
>> I'll vote for Current. IMO, anything else is suicide and would drive
>> away our already dwindling membership.
>>

> I don't see why it is "suicide". A single list hasn't been a problem for
BLUG.

My impression is that usually when someone posts a job to the wrong
place or a -talk topic to the -tech list there's more discussion of
the off-topicnesss than there is discussion of the issue.

If we put everything on one list that's basically saying "anything
off-topic is welcome here." That works when lists are small or have
always been that way or the list membership is relatively
heterogeneous in their beliefs about what's on-topic (I guess BLUG
fits one or more of those).

I predict that the result of merging all the lists will be that people
who don't like the new mix of posts will unsubscribe. We'll also get
arguing about what's on-topic or not and the arguing will cause some
to unsubscribe.

"Suicide" is definitely a loaded word, but I couldn't think of a
better way to describe the proposal since it means the part of the
group I cared about the most (the mailing list) will become less
useful and less trafficked.

I understand now that this is the intent: weed out people who don't
attend meetings. So, that's fine. I would no longer call it "suicide"
and instead maybe "winnowing of the herd."

Cheers,
Greg