[clue-admin] Email Lists Referendum

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Dec 21 16:30:07 MST 2010

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:37:22 -0700
Greg Knaddison wrote:

> If the focus of the list is Colorado why ask a generic DNS question
> here?

Easy to miss my prior response.

My thoughts on focus have more to do with overlap, and how I think CLUE
fills a void. I probably will never join an Apache mailing list or admin
group, because I so infrequently need any questions answered in that
area. But the CLUE-Tech list works well for me in that regard. I could
say the same about Perl, Postfix, and various other FOSS products.

To exand on that a bit, for those of us who are more users and tinkerers
than developers or admins, we'd find ourselves subscribing to a big pile
of mailings lists over time, to get help with the various things that
come up here and there. Well, I don't want to do that. I'd have to join
lists/groups for Ubuntu, Fvwm, Sylpheed, Perl, Postfix, PHP,
Spamassassin, Apache, MySQL ... just off the top of my head. So sure,
we're somewhat defined by locale, but what makes CLUE work, IMHO, is that
we have a diverse group of tech talent on the tech list, so for
occasional questions on a wide varitety of topics, there's a resource
right here. Is it good for ongoing pursuit of a tech topic? Well, maybe
if you're really getting into the nitty-gritty of being a Postgres admin,
for example, you'd be better served by joining a more specific group.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?