[clue-admin] considerations for CLUE website

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Feb 4 23:53:54 MST 2010

Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> Website requirements
> ==============
> 1. Attractive
> 2. Easy to edit so anyone can update it.  Either a wiki or a blog can do
> this.
> 3. Does not require a web admin.

Huh.  Guess I'm too old for this group, if HTML, CVS, and maybe some PHP are "too hard".  We
probably want some Web 2.0 features too, don't we?  (Just kidding, I don't really care.  Seems odd
that a technical group would care either.)

> 4. Open to CLUE members to use.  Should all members be able to use it?
> How do we determine membership?
> 5. Moderation required?

I think there are wikis that allow some pages to be locked while others are open.  So we could
control the parts where we do our branding and allow others to be open for collaboration.

MediaWiki has been mentioned.  I use it at work and don't really like it (but I don't know much
about their plug-ins so maybe it's better than I think--if there's a sane way to manage the plug-in
life cycle).

But I heard recently that a Navy organization that's big on MediaWiki is switching to Confluence.
Oh, never mind--proprietary Share Point thing.  Pity, I thought they were brighter than that.  Don't
ever say government and innovation in the same sentence. ;-)