[clue-admin] considerations for CLUE website

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Feb 6 07:40:12 MST 2010

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 23:22:51 -0700
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> I wouldn't expect to care that an app we use is MVC underneath.  That
> seems like too much detail to have to know.

I just noticed that all of the ones I looked at, albeit briefly, were MVC
types, and written in PHP. Certainly it's not the only pattern, just
seems to be the most prevalent.

> It would be nice if the apps we use weren't in PHP.  The PHP guys would
> have been better off writing a Perl pre-processor, or perhaps extending
> the interpreter.  They're not nearly as good at language design as
> Larry Wall.

PHP started out as a Perl thing. Its Perl-ish syntax can get you
frustrated if write both Perl and PHP regularly. At least it does me. Not
that write great gobs of either.

The main thing about PHP that I don't like is that it encourages sloppy
coding practice. That's the flip side of having it be easy to mix HTML in
with the code, wich I think is the main feature that's made PHP popular.

> Just my opinion and it's up to the admin to decide what tool to use.
> But I have to write PHP at work, I won't do it at home.

Has anyone looked into what's out there in the Python world? Not that I
like Python, but it avoids the PHP/Perl debate. :)

The things I know about that written in Python are Zope/Plone, and
MoinMoin.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?