[clue-admin] CLUE server migration and status

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Sun Jan 10 14:33:31 MST 2010

Folks:

Linux ETC has purchased a VPSLink account for CLUE back on 01 Jan 2010.  It is CentOS 5.4 based at this time.

I have been in discussion with those who have accounts on the "old" system in regards to what is needed to migrate things from "old" to "new".  So far only Jed and David A. have come to the table on being able to do anything as well as volunteering to assist.  I do appreciate both Jed and David A. stepping up here.

I have also discussed with David W. about collection of donations for CLUE.  At this time there are none, so Linux ETC is floating the bill.  I personally rather not have David W. floating the bill expecting donations for the CLUE VPSLink account.  I do appreciate David W. coming to the table and volunteering for such a role though which has not existed in the pass.

Last I checked the current VPSLink system will charge the current payment holder around 18 Jan 2010 (give or take) for another year.  That is unless those with current access to the VPSLink account admin panel decide to cancel this service at the last minute.  Dennis mentions that this will be discussed at the Tuesday CLUE-DTC meeting.  I unfortunately feel that for a group of volunteers to be doing this at the last minute is not proper nor good form.  As noted, we are all volunteers here thus are time and finances to contribute to such vary.  This also seems to be the way of past things with CLUE when people are asked to step up to assist.  Then again, we are all volunteers.

I am pointing these items out since there was quite a bit of talk.  However what I have seen quite a bit on my tenure with CLUE, there is little action when the time calls for such.  Yes, these might seem harsh words, but unfortunately they are accurate, and I am not the only one with this perspective and observation.

For the time being, unless those with the desires and skills to assist with Jed and David A. come forward, I will be locking out most of the addition accounts created.  This is from the system administration point of view, not from my frustrations on this issue.

What has come to light with Jed, David A., and my discussions is the need for one familiar with Mailman.  Jeff Cann was this person in the past.  Jeff is retired and wishes to remain as such from my understanding.  Is there another with experience in Mailman willing to come forward?

Thoughts, comments, feedback, and such are welcomed.  This is not meant to open a flame war nor to point fingers at "so and so said they would..." either.  I will apologize in advance for delayed responses since I get this list in Digest format.

--- Crawford
CLUE Server Admin and volunteer

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court