[clue-admin] On sponsorship and donations

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:20:27 MST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Crawford Rainwater
<crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:

> As mentioned in Jed's email about sponsorship and donations this has been a touchy subject.  There are some that feel that CLUE should register as a non-profit 501(c)3 with the tax ID and do the annual paper work for such.  Jeff Cann looked into this IIRC and noticed that the costs of doing such out weighted what was expected to be donated funding wise by quite a bit.

I agree with Jeff. I doubt that anyone in our loosely knit
organization has the time or wants the responsibilities that go along
with an official non-profit setup.

> I endorse the idea of sponsors (Linux ETC has been assisting with the CLUE server related items since 2004; I myself use to run CLUE-North and the Installfests before David A's tour).  I would like to find a mutually acceptable way though for donations and such to taken in by CLUE where it will not have any legal or IRS ramifications though.

Yes, we need sponsors and we need to give them credit on the website
and at meetings. We also need to establish an ongoing project for
collecting funds to reimburse Crawford and others who are bearing the
financial impact. I'm not sure that we need the level of
membership/membership Secretary that we had in the past, maybe just
start collecting funds a few months before renewal time each year.

> Just my $0.02 on the topic.

Another $.01 contribution. We're up to $.03 now.

--
Collins Richey