[clue-admin] CLUE hosting requirements

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:36:38 MST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Crawford Rainwater
<crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:
> ----- Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote: -----
>>
>> It would be really nice if someone would step up to the
>> plate and handle research, polling, etc. for the future site hosting
>> so that we don't get all in a dither in 6 months when the current
>> agreement ends.
>>
>> 1. Do we want an "external professional" paid service?
>> 2. Do we want a member provided "free but professional" service?
>> 3. etc., etc.
>>

> As a Plan A still Linux ETC should have a VPS hosting setup for others available and is willing to donate a VPS for such.  Thinking 10GB HDD, 512MB to 1GB RAM, 1 static IP should be fine.  Just need to know a distribution of preference (I would learn towards Ubuntu 10.04LTS for ease of upgrade purposes vs. CentOS which would require mounting an ISO image).
>
> Plan B...stick with VPSLink another 6 months. *shudders*
>
> Plan C...open to ideas here.

Questions:

1. Why can you upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 without mounting an ISO, but not CentOS?

2. I haven't used Ubuntu in a while. Which of the two is in a better
postiom with regards to PHP, Apache, MySQL/Postygresql releases to
support Drupal (currently using Drupal 6, but maybe Drupal 7)?

3. I'm thinking that 512MB/1GB ram is fine with our low traffic site,
but I can foresee the data requirements going beyond 10GB once the
Drupal site is in place. If we open up a forum, etc., the site will no
longer be primarily static content.

--
Collins Richey