[clue-admin] CLUE hosting requirements

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Wed Jan 5 12:20:48 MST 2011

----- Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote: -----
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Crawford Rainwater
> <crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:
>

> > As a Plan A still Linux ETC should have a VPS hosting setup for
> > others available and is willing to donate a VPS for such. ?Thinking
> > 10GB HDD, 512MB to 1GB RAM, 1 static IP should be fine. ?Just need
> > to know a distribution of preference (I would learn towards Ubuntu
> > 10.04LTS for ease of upgrade purposes vs. CentOS which would require
> > mounting an ISO image).
> >
> > Plan B...stick with VPSLink another 6 months. *shudders*
> >
> > Plan C...open to ideas here.
> >

> Questions:
>
> 1. Why can you upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 without mounting an ISO, but
> not CentOS?

Ubuntu has a built in upgrade manager (I want to say it is "update-manager" perhaps?) package that can go from LTS to LTS (e.g., 8.04 to 10.04) or minor version upgrades (e.g., 10.04 to 10.10) via the CLI.  CentOS last I checked required an ISO for upgrades between major versions (e.g., v4.x to v5.x).  One of the draw backs with VPSLinks using CentOS is such and waiting on them to test a container with said OS since they are using a paravirtualization hardware platform.  But the same issue with Ubuntu containers also exists as well due to the paravirtualization and issues with "newer" kernels being used.

> 2. I haven't used Ubuntu in a while. Which of the two is in a better
> postiom with regards to PHP, Apache, MySQL/Postygresql releases to
> support Drupal (currently using Drupal 6, but maybe Drupal 7)?

Either or.  Matter of preference in that case IMHO.  I admit I prefer Ubuntu personally between the two, but again, that is a personal preference.

> 3. I'm thinking that 512MB/1GB ram is fine with our low traffic site,
> but I can foresee the data requirements going beyond 10GB once the
> Drupal site is in place. If we open up a forum, etc., the site will no
> longer be primarily static content.

Making the HDD size "grow" will not be a problem with the setup we have.  To change it will require some down time (~30 minutes) to resize the virtual hard drive, extend the file system, then bring the virtual machine back online.

I would also suggest adding in the Google Analytics module for some analysis of traffic down the road.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA