[clue-admin] VPS was down, 27 Jan 2011

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Jan 28 08:38:18 MST 2011

Folks:

The VPS was down from ~0940h MST to ~1230h MST on Thursday, 27 January.  Linux ETC was alerted to this at 0943h MST via the monitoring system in place.  A ticket was opened with VPSLink after several attempts to access it via SSH and via VPSLink's control panel were unsuccessful (including a reboot, power off/on, and their internal SSH via browser connector).  Apparently the system was "hung up" doing a file system check on the reboot.  It seems that when VPSLink was sold off from Spry to this other group in Boston, the "console via browser connector" was not included with the new group.  Thus, they had to resolve things for us.  I have made additional inquiries about adding this "consolve via browser connector" feature back which would have made this a shorter resolution potentially, save it is not clear why the system was rebooted to begin with nor became unresponsive at this time.

I will be reviewing the log files for any additional information on this event and see if there are any additional steps to be taken on our end.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA