[clue-admin] [Website] Any information I need to bring to the meeting Tuesday?

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Mon Feb 13 13:33:25 MST 2012

I had to sit down and think on this one a while.  Drupal is not a
necessity.  My thinking was that since work was put into it previously, why
not continue that and shortcut starting over.  Drupal does have a large
community and plenty of modules to make it do many different tasks.

What I would really like to see is a facelift for the CLUE website.  Making
it more dynamic and having the ability to support contributors means that
you can have some rich content that may not be feasible on the email list.
For instance, while I can pass around a youtube video, that information can
become lost in the archives.  Having a section on the website to drop it
into means that it is more organized and easily accessible.  I think this
would give it more of a community feel and allow people to contribute even
if they don't attend meetings.

As for the continuation of the site in case of disaster (VPS blows up, I
get run over a bus/train/airplane, I go mad, become a hermit and revoke all
rights, etc), my plans were to have an automated backup pushed somewhere
off server.  This would include the drupal site itself and the DB dump.

As for situations where I am unavailable, the following would need to
happen.  I would open a secondary portal account for my VPS that some
one/group in clue held the info to.  They would be able to file a ticket
against the VPS in the case that it was down or somehow broken.  The staff
at ServInt is very knowledgeable and would be able to get things running in
short order.

I would keep Drupal up to date and the rest of the RPMs on the server are
handled by ServIint itself.  These should take care of security issues.

Finally, access would be limited to one account.  I have setup fast-cgi for
the server so all permissions are contained to this account.  My normal
account would have 0 access to the directory and I would have to access it
as root.

I don't feel like I have been abandoned, however I do feel like this is a
hard subject to navigate.  Creating a site is a process and it will take a
few people to drive it to completion.

Gus pushes for this very militantly and I don't agree with that at all.  I
don't share the same views of a leaderless group.  Once you push this over
a few people I think structure can be important.

If I can't help out here I am sure I can find other ways to contribute and
hopefully see this community grow rather than shrink for the bickering on
the public list.

Dan Kulinski