[clue-admin] [Website] Any information I need to bring to the meeting Tuesday?

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 09:31:06 MST 2012

This sounds reasonable.  Bring your ideas to the meeting.

On Monday, February 13, 2012 01:33:25 PM Dan Kulinski wrote:

I had to sit down and think on this one a while.  Drupal is not a necessity.
My thinking was that since work was put into it previously, why not continue
that and shortcut starting over.  Drupal does have a large community and
plenty of modules to make it do many different tasks.

What I would really like to see is a facelift for the CLUE website.  Making it
more dynamic and having the ability to support contributors means that you can
have some rich content that may not be feasible on the email list.  For
instance, while I can pass around a youtube video, that information can become
lost in the archives.  Having a section on the website to drop it into means
that it is more organized and easily accessible.  I think this would give it
more of a community feel and allow people to contribute even if they don't
attend meetings.

As for the continuation of the site in case of disaster (VPS blows up, I get
run over a bus/train/airplane, I go mad, become a hermit and revoke all
rights, etc), my plans were to have an automated backup pushed somewhere off
server.  This would include the drupal site itself and the DB dump.

As for situations where I am unavailable, the following would need to happen.
I would open a secondary portal account for my VPS that some one/group in clue
held the info to.  They would be able to file a ticket against the VPS in the
case that it was down or somehow broken.  The staff at ServInt is very
knowledgeable and would be able to get things running in short order.

I would keep Drupal up to date and the rest of the RPMs on the server are
handled by ServIint itself.  These should take care of security issues.

Finally, access would be limited to one account.  I have setup fast-cgi for
the server so all permissions are contained to this account.  My normal
account would have 0 access to the directory and I would have to access it as
root.

I don't feel like I have been abandoned, however I do feel like this is a hard
subject to navigate.  Creating a site is a process and it will take a few
people to drive it to completion.

Gus pushes for this very militantly and I don't agree with that at all.  I
don't share the same views of a leaderless group.  Once you push this over a
few people I think structure can be important.

If I can't help out here I am sure I can find other ways to contribute and
hopefully see this community grow rather than shrink for the bickering on the
public list.

Dan Kulinski

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

Dan Kulinski wrote:
> I will be attending the meeting on Tuesday.  Is there anything you guys
> would like to see from me, my provider or anything else?

Well, it may be that by asking those interested in managing the group to take
it outside I've
managed to scare off your volunteers.  Other than Dennis I don't see anyone
who's worked on Drupal
on this list.  But I'm sure that can be fixed if necessary.

I'm not imaginative enough to understand the interest in Drupal.  We have a
list, we have a web
site.  That's enough to have a group, though we could use something more to
make the group more
live.  Drupal doesn't seem to me like the thing we need but I'm happy if
others want to work on it.
 (I'll say more later about what I *am* interested in.)

So if we were to sit down together here are the kind of things I would ask:

What does your infrastructure look like and how does a piece of it get carved
out for CLUE use?

What kinds of limitations are there?  What kinds of things would make it
awkward for you to continue
providing to CLUE?

How do we keep our services available in case of the demise of you, your
provider, Ford owners, or
Twinkie haters?

What kinds of administration will be required and who do we expect to do those
things?

Some of those may be premature.  Some are just my curiosity.  In the end I'm
much more interested in
availability and continuity than new features.  I could tell you a long story
of CLUE's history with
hosting, and a short one about our current state.  Most of the group doesn't
know any of that but
maybe it's an obsolete perspective that doesn't matter anymore.

Hopefully you don't feel like you've been completely abandoned.

Thanks!