[clue-admin] Future Web Site

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Tue Feb 14 17:02:55 MST 2012

Talk, talk, talk. That's mostly all I see people do is talk. There has been some action, but minimal in nature. It would also seem to me that most members of CLUE have never been active, contributing members to any FOSS project. Most have a "shut up and do!" philosophy to them. Talking is not doing, talking is just that.... blowing hot air. Personally I *really* dislike Drupal for many reason. It's poorly coded PHP, it's MySQL integration, though better than any other RDBMS, is sucks. It doesn't perform well and can't be scaled without serious work and hardware. That being said... choose a tool and use it. For you folks who feel drupal is the right way to go... shut up and do. Rough consensus and working is worth far more than a 1000 email messages discussion what could be done, what should be done, and how great it will be. I hate to sound like a Nike add here but "Just do it!"

For those who don't care for Drupal, fine. Put the source of the website into some public version control, code.google.com, git.github.com, whatever... I think I use nearly every concurrency and version control system ever made at least once during my work week ( Yes, I actually do use RCS still ). I'd be happy to check out the source and be able to submit patches to a patch *team*. Not one person, that becomes a bottleneck and put too much burden on a single individual. This is where the "drupalers" have the advantage, a CMS does make updating easier for the non-technical person, or for those who just don't want to be bother with the nitty gritty. ( Yes I spend most of my day editing in vi, yet I use Mac as my primary workstation both in the office and at home. )

"But we if we have two 'rival' camps?" Great! May those who provide the best service win, and the looser... well the own the winners a beer and everyone gets along. The web site as become a major issue for this group because no one has *pushed* it forward. Stop talking and do something. Then folks can meet to figure out what features they want to have, not how to get features there.

Just my €0.02 worth.

Raymond DeRoo