[clue-admin] Future Web Site

Raymond de Roo rderoo at deroo.net
Wed Feb 15 03:46:19 MST 2012

David--

>> Talk, talk, talk.
>
> We talked about this tonight. ;-)

I wish I was local enough to have been there. Actually, like David W. I *really* wish I had someone else who would have taken precedence over meeting yesterday. :)

> My preference is that people who want something done should do it and then show us.  Where we went
> wrong last time was in what happens next.
>
> So Drupal was pretty close to ready but it didn't run on our server.  Another hoster was found but
> wait, they didn't support email (and I, for one, didn't want to lose the mailing list).  So people
> expected to build a Drupal site that would replace the current one, and save us money on hosting
> too.  But the email obstacle was a bridge too far.  And it wasn't bypassed, overcome, or let be--the
> project died.

Then I would say the "drupal folks" need to work on resolving that issue as part of the drupal solution.

>> For those who don't care for Drupal, fine. Put the source of the website into some public version
>> control, code.google.com, git.github.com, whatever...
>
> I'm thinking about making the code more accessible, though I don't know that we'll need a public
> service.  More on that later.

Fair enough. My thought on the public service is that it's not likely to just "go away" or be subject to a individual hardware crash. Sure for my personal server I have RAID with redundant power supplies each plugged into their own UPS on difference circuits... But if I loose power for more than 15 minutes, I'm down. Yes it's possible to mirror repositories and that would work as well. Again I'm looking for less talking and more action, so I look forward to your thoughts on how this would best work.

> I'm glad that we have the -admin list.  I have no problem with Raymond stating his case
> passionately.  But I hate to think how much noise it would have caused on the main list, to the
> detriment of the vast majority.

Yes agreed! I have largely refrained from comments other than few a private ones to other members who know how to better temper my input, because I feel that are not appropriate for a general *tech* list. That being said I too have hardware I'm willing let CLUE use to host both the website and and mailing list from. Right now it's just bare metal, but setting up a KVM and giving designated members access to the KVM would be fine by me.

For those interested in recommended round-robin multi-person hosted solution proposed and mentioned again by DaivdW, that is something I would personally interested in working on. Again, living in Amsterdam make commuting to meetings a bit difficult for for me, but my roots remain in the Denver area and I'm willing to help where I can.

Raymond