[clue-admin] Future Web Site

Wed Feb 15 09:00:48 MST 2012

> > wait, they didn't support email (and I, for one, didn't want to
> > lose the mailing list).  So people
> > expected to build a Drupal site that would replace the current one,
> > and save us money on hosting
> > too.  But the email obstacle was a bridge too far.  And it wasn't
> > bypassed, overcome, or let be--the
> > project died.
>
> Then I would say the "drupal folks" need to work on resolving that
> issue as part of the drupal solution.

I think I disagree. I think web folks don't need to worry about email. If I haven't said so out loud already, I think separating email server from web server is a good idea, or at worst, a neutral idea.

It seems to me that it could go something like this: a motivated web-dude puts up a new web-site, on a web-server with sufficient resources for his platform of choice. We love it. We re-point the A records and call it good. The MX record remains un-changed until someone changes it. Or have I misunderstood something this basic all these years?

Then, someone raises the point that the web-site is on a single-spindle POS in someone's basement, and do we really want to do it that way, at which point, we copy the thing to RDR's mega-box, add another A record and call it better. The MX record continues to trundle along happily. Yes? No?

Advantage of the -admin list: Being able to be blunt, or RDR-blunt, which is a whole different kind of blunt. :-)
Disadvantage of the -admin list: Lurk-listen-and-learn much less likely here.