[clue-admin] Future Web Site

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Wed Feb 15 13:04:39 MST 2012

I missed a word in there.  MySQL layer, not MySQL itself.  I know how a
database works and writing a new RDBMS is not a simple task.

As for NFS, I was incorrect.  I emailed ServInt support and they take
nightly backups of each VPS image.  These are stored on local RAID 10
disks.  If you have a failure, they restore your last disk image and have
you running again.  So this means you have a 24 hour window where you can
lose data.

The caching I setup was for MyISAM and InnoDB was disabled for the Drupal 6
installation. I never had InnoDB enabled on the server and have so far left
it turned off.  Drupal 7 doesn't require InnoDB and as far as offering
higher end features over MyISAM I don't know what other advantages I would
see from enabling InnoDB.

As for skill building, I don't see this as an issue.  Building a
distributed system from scratch (or any system from scratch) is a big
undertaking.  If you don't have at least a good foundation for this, I
think you are in over your head.  I would rather lower the barrier for
entry to disseminate information than raise it to such a high degree.

As for multi-master replication, I have no expertise here but I am
disappointed in your abbreviated answer.  Granted, I don't like
multi-master replication, I can see plenty of times when things can go
wrong.  I believe it was designed on top of a reliable network, not a
mishmash of home machines on possibly different versions of MySQL.

As for David Wilson's suggestion, I don't think he was meaning Drupal
replication across sites.  There are many points where this would fail.

You would pretty much need a homogenous setup.  Each machine would have to
be exactly the same with the same database and login on each machine with
the same httpd.conf, etc.  Once one site is updated you would have to have
a way to circulate the same changes.  I am not sure if Drupal stamps each
entry in a specific way or not.  I don't know what you are asking for
specifically, but a dynamically driven website run on a local DB server
wouldn't be easy to replicate between separate machines.

Dan Kulinski