[clue-admin] git.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Feb 17 13:55:09 MST 2012

David L. Willson wrote:

> So... I'm not really sure I understand what you're proposing. Maybe I'm reading too much into it,
> but are you suggesting that we stick with a static PHP-based website but that we distribute it
> through git? Or are you saying that when the Drupal site is done we find a way to distribute it
> through git?

I'm saying that I am setting up git, that I will migrate the cvs repository into it, and that I will
make it publicly accessible.  (Not all of this will be done live on the CLUE server--I'm not going
to change it without assessing the impact.)

> To make my position clear, I want the current plan followed, quickly to a major milestone, like
> updating the A record. THEN, add version-control, load-balancing, and whatever you like.

I don't know what you mean by the current plan.  I don't think what I've said above is a plan for
what I'm doing and I've seen less than that about Drupal.  Dan has Drupal running on his server,
what's next?

Do we even know what the goal is or does that still have to be decided?  Perhaps a mailing list is
the wrong place to post the plan and it should be posted somewhere else (so that people who don't
read long posts carefully don't miss changes to the plan).

Communicating these things is one of the jobs of project managers.  Is anyone going to manage this
project?

I would prefer that the decision to use the Drupal site be made based on how useful it is to the
group--that is, it should co-exist until one or the other is clearly not needed.  I'm not sure
that's feasible given the things involved and their current maintainers.  But I would expect a plan
to include how that sort of decision will be made.

I don't say any of this to be difficult, just to point out what I think will make the project more
likely to succeed.