[CLUE-Cert] Couple of SuSE questions

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Sun Dec 10 16:42:38 MST 2000

+Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Unfortunately, .xsession-errors is size 0. I have spent some
> time doing some of the suggestions, and the net result (so far)
> is that it just hangs on login for any other user but root.
> I CAN start X as root, BTW.

Ok, so either it's a permission problem or initialization script
problem.  If you set up a new user (from scratch if necessary)
and copy all of the hidden dot files from the /root directory
into the home directory for that user, does startx then work for
that user?

> When I try X with :1 from command line, I get a message about
> how I should be using Xwrapper to start it, so I try that, I get
> another X session on Ctrl-Alt-F8, but it's just the X cursor and
> the black and white checkered background, and that's all ...

If you simply start X by itself, that is all you'll get.  After starting
X on :1, try setting your display to 1 (export DISPLAY=:1) and executing
a few apps in the background.  A terminal, such as
xterm, is a good place to start.  Then you can play around with
window managers.  If you have kde installed try startkde or
gnome-session for gnome, twm, fvwm, olwm, etc.  You'll have to
kill one before starting another.  Check /usr/X11R6/bin/*wm for
other window managers you may have installed on your system.

> startx with :1 on command line seems to ignore it.
> You think I need to alter startx script?

No, try "startx -- :1".

Lynn