[CLUE-Cert] RFI -- Meetings

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Fri Oct 13 14:02:07 MDT 2000

John Kottal wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Having finally been freed from attendance of school on Wednesdays,
> I now look forward to the next certification group meeting.
> Could someone bring me up to date on what was discussed in the first
> two? What were the readings?
> And what is the topic and reading for the next class?

I'll add to Eric's post.  The Sair material we are reading is from
their Installation and Configuration Student Manual.  I know you have
the Sair Installation and Configuration certification book which
should cover the same material.

Finish up chapter one of the Sair Student manual and get as
far into chapter two as we can.  We're currently focusing
on Slackware installation and configuration.  As Eric mentioned
chapter two wants us to compare and contrast several Linux
distributions.  I think that it's going to take us some time
to work through several distributions as a group.  When I
asked the group which distribution we should focus on for our
next meeting, David said that he'd like to spend more time
configuring Slackware before we move on.  So, at least for
the next meeting we'll still be on Slackware.  If we're going
to get through the material in six months we can't afford to
spend much more than a month on any given distribution.  We
will be continuing to compare and contrast them as we go and
I think we may need to continually come back to questions
we covered in earlier chapters of the book as we gain more
experience with different Linux distributions.

I can email a postscript file with chapters one and two of
the Sair Student Manual to anyone who wants them, but even
compressed they're about a megabyte in size which some ISP's
may reject.  Let me know if you want me to send them on.

The next meeting is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., October 25
in conference room 102 of the IHS Energy building.  One
thing that I should have mentioned when I mailed out the
maps to IHS is that there is a small loading dock on the
North East end of the building, just North of the door
where we need to enter.  Also please try to be there by
7:00, I will be at the door until that time, but afterwards
you'll need to get the security guards attention, because
the door will be locked.