[CLUE-Cert] Re: Study Group 6-27 - Thanks!

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Sun Jul 1 18:04:25 MDT 2001

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I wanted to add one other thing I've noticed about this:
> Kermit was s-l-o-w. Noticing zterm support in tera term,
> I thought I'd try that. It worked, and sz was already
> on my Linux box. I haven't done any real comparison, but
> on Friday, I sent a 12M file by Kermit, and it took at
> least five hours(!) to send it. I tried a ~3M file later
> with zterm, and it went in about 5-10 minutes...

Speed is an old complaint with kermit.  There was an article
in SysAdmin (I think) a year or so ago that exalted kermit
saying its bad rap was do to some default configuration
settings which (assuming you have administrative rights)
could easily be changed.  If I can find the article, I'll
bring to our next meeting.

I'm glad you guys reminded me of this stuff, it's been
several years since I've used kermit and zterm.  I'd
pretty much forgotten about them.

Lynn