[CLUE-Cert] Re: Study Group 6-27 - Thanks!

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Sun Jul 1 18:44:46 MDT 2001

On Sun, 01 Jul 2001 18:04:25 -0600
Lynn Danielson <lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us> wrote:

> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to add one other thing I've noticed about this:
> > Kermit was s-l-o-w. Noticing zterm support in tera term,
> > I thought I'd try that. It worked, and sz was already
> > on my Linux box. I haven't done any real comparison, but
> > on Friday, I sent a 12M file by Kermit, and it took at
> > least five hours(!) to send it. I tried a ~3M file later
> > with zterm, and it went in about 5-10 minutes...
>
> Speed is an old complaint with kermit.  There was an article
> in SysAdmin (I think) a year or so ago that exalted kermit
> saying its bad rap was do to some default configuration
> settings which (assuming you have administrative rights)
> could easily be changed.  If I can find the article, I'll
> bring to our next meeting.

I'd wondered about that. Something didn't seem right, and I
couldn't imagine it being THAT bad in speed. That article you mention
might be a real eye-opener. Of course, I might do some
RTFM'ing on the site that Darrell sent out, too.

> I'm glad you guys reminded me of this stuff, it's been
> several years since I've used kermit and zterm.  I'd
> pretty much forgotten about them.

Same here: it's been quite a while since I've used dialup BBSes, but
Zterm was quite en vogue then. I only did Kermit a few times, and
that was the Penn State mainframe, and that was about six years
ago. :)