[CLUE-Cert] Re: Study Group 6-27 - Thanks!

Darrell L. Ford darrellford at uswest.net
Mon Jul 2 12:36:20 MDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lynn Danielson" <lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us>
To: <clue-cert at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Cert] Re: Study Group 6-27 - Thanks!

> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to add one other thing I've noticed about this:
> > Kermit was s-l-o-w. Noticing zterm support in tera term,
> > I thought I'd try that. It worked, and sz was already
> > on my Linux box. I haven't done any real comparison, but
> > on Friday, I sent a 12M file by Kermit, and it took at
> > least five hours(!) to send it. I tried a ~3M file later
> > with zterm, and it went in about 5-10 minutes...

Unbelievable.... curiosity got the best of me and I replicated your results
in both Hyperterminal without ssh and Tera Term with ssh.... I had no idea
kermit was that slow... for that matter that zmodem was that fast
(comparatively speaking that is).... Never quite saw the speed differential
back when we had no choice but to use dialup... glad those days are over for
me!

> Speed is an old complaint with kermit.  There was an article
> in SysAdmin (I think) a year or so ago that exalted kermit
> saying its bad rap was do to some default configuration
> settings which (assuming you have administrative rights)
> could easily be changed.  If I can find the article, I'll
> bring to our next meeting.

I would be interested in seeing that article if you can find it!