[CLUE-Cert] Samba and slaved printer

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Thu Jul 12 15:39:17 MDT 2001

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I was still unable to see the machine on the network. I have another
> samba box that has (disk)shares out there, and I think it's using
> non-encrypted passwords, so I need to keep with that. I'll try to
> take a look at it tonight or this weekend.

I brought some Samba (and Kermit) materials to the meeting last
night.  If you want I can bring them again next time (July 25th).

If you can't see your Samba server on the net, I'd question what
your "lm announce" settings are, whether your global browseable
parameter is set to yes and if your global "guest ok" parameter
is set to yes.

Use smbclient, testparm and your samba logs for troubleshooting.
'smbclient -L hostname' should give you a browse list if one is
available.  'smbclient //hostname/sharename -U username' should
connect you to any available smb share.  The smb logs (there may
be only one depending upon your configuration parameters) are
your best resource for troubleshooting connection problems.  The
testparm command will parse your smb.conf file and, if there are
no problems with it, list out all of your configuration parameters.

SWAT can be particularly helpful when you're getting started with
Samba.  You must configure it into your services and inetd.conf
files.  After which it makes it very easy to set up basic Samba
shares through a CGI.

If you're using encrypted passwords, which is recommend and the
default for some time now, you must either: A) set up an smbpasswd
file with an entry for every user who will connect to your samba
server, or B) use another server for password authentication.  If
you're participating in a domain, option B can be a lot simpler
than building and maintaining your own Samba passwd file.  Simply
add "password server = BDCname PDCname" to your smb.conf file.

Hope this helps,

Lynn