[CLUE-Cert] Networking input.

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Aug 27 16:34:30 MDT 2002

I'll eventually ask on CLUE Tech, but I'm starting here.  I'm planning
to give the main presentations in Oct and Nov on networking.  I think
the topic is big enough to fill both slots, but big enough too that I'm
not sure what the best approach will be.

First, the important question: could someone send me the list of "top
twenty" networking commands you came up with a while back?  I know Doug,
at least, has some notes on that and any comments any of you have on the
commands and why they are important would be helpful.

I'm thinking that the first talk will cover fundamentals.  I'm inclined
to present the layers of networking and their characteristics.  That
means I'll show packet structure to highlight how things work.  Here's a
sketch (no, I don't do the OSI model so you only get my layers):

ethernet - broadcast, non-routable, hardware addresses
IP - routable, stateless, unreliable
TCP/UDP - multiplexed, connections or connectionless
application - perhaps a discussion of ftp and/or http (maybe this is too
much)

I also hope to make this practical, so for each layer I'll discuss what
commands are needed to configure things.  I don't know that I'll talk
about boot scripts--the ones I've seen on Debian and RedHat are more
obscure than they should be and they all do different config files.
Maybe that's an installfest type topic.

For the second talk, I'm thinking I'll talk about troubleshooting.  That
should be useful for people.  When I troubleshoot, I don't really follow
a method but I think I could put something together that would be
reasonably generic.

Feel free to send me suggestions on what you'd like me to cover.  I want
this to be useful to experienced people as much as I want to teach
beginners.

Dave